Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Quilting Essentials List - Part 1

What are the essential tools for quilting? I went on an internet quest to see what I needed to add to my arsenal. There are some things that are obvious to me because I'm not entirely a novice, but others were a complete surprise.

1. A sewing machine: This will possibly be the most expensive tool you'll purchase but obviously the most essential to your workflow. You can always borrow a machine from a friend but the convenience of having it waiting for you whenever you're free is great. I have an old Kenmore machine that is so old that there are certain needles I can't get for it unless ordered directly from sears. It's gotten me out of messes, although it does get me into a few as well. On the other hand, knowing you have to have everything set and ready to go when you get the borrowed machine will likely make your workflow more efficient.

2. Rotary cutter: Having a rotary cutter instead of just using scissors will make your life easier. I don't have one but really want one! The thing is, you'll also need a self healing cutting board. This will lessen any damage from cutting.

3. Ironing board (or at least an iron): Having your fabric nice and flat will make your cuts more accurate. I have a travel iron and small ironing board but for a while, I'd place a towel on the floor and iron on that. I suggest the ironing board but you have to do what you have to do for your favorite hobby. The image above is one that you can make with some batting and fabric stapled down. On the project I'm working on now, I somehow managed to set up the ironing board and then just cut and sewed the pieces without using it! It seemed okay but definitely a no-no! Learn from me!


4. Scissors: I have pinking sheers and sharp paper scissors that are used solely for fabric. A tip that I learned from mistakes - make sure your regular house scissors and your sewing scissors are different colors. You don't want to get them mixed up! You'll also need some small ones that are made to cut thread.

5. Seam ripper: You'll make mistakes. I make a ton of them! This is perfect for getting things to come apart and start over.

Stay tuned for the next five essential tools! Do you have one you think I missed? Tell me about it in the comments below! You can also like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, check out our Youtube page, and like our boards on Pinterest! I hope to hear from you soon.

~Yasmine

0 comments:

Post a Comment