Monday, July 1, 2013

My First Quilt: IT'S DONE!

I have learned many things both, about sewing and about myself, with this project. Quilting isn't as easy as it looks, I'm kind of lazy, and I don't have all the tools for sewing. I learned how to whip-stitch, although not well. And although the quilt isn't the most beautiful, I love it.


What was the toughest part? Learning to read instructions and not letting my ego take over. I kept thinking, I've sewing before, this is a piece of cake. Well, my amateur sewing skills quickly showed in this piece. I apparently find it hard to sew in a straight line without guides. I also forget simple, yet essential, sewing steps such as ironing out the fabric. I believe I stretched the binding when sewing it and perhaps that's what made it bunch up.


Overall, I love it and love the fabric. It's made of 100% cotton fabric in greens, pinks, and mustard tones. The floral fabric is lovely and I'm glad I made the strips as wide as I did to show off the design.

My 2 year old daughter likes the quilt but mostly I keep it away from fear that she'll put chocolate or some other sticky substance on it. It's not perfect but I love my first quilt!


Want something to help you procrastinate? Please follow us on TwitterPinterestFacebook and/or comment below on things you'd like me to feature or talk about!
~Yasmine

0 comments:

Post a Comment