Thursday, June 6, 2013

My First Quilt: Ironing, Straight Lines, and Forgetfulness

Quilting is hard. There, I said it. There's so many things the quilter has to remember, which is strange, since I'm not a complete stranger to sewing. Quilts are hard.


Not only are they larger than the typical headband or handbag I make, but they can get bulky if you're in a crammed space trying to sew. Check out my last video to get a small glimpse of the space I was working in.

But I'm still excited, no matter how hard learning to quilt may be. The blanket, although with it's odd mistakes, is almost done! I just need to finish up the edges and I'm set.

When sewing it, I had been trying to follow the instructions on the blog KatieDid. Little did I know that sewing a straight line would prove to be more difficult. As you can see in the photo below, her lines look perfect. Mine, as you can see in the other images, doesn't...


I also decided to use less thread. Is this bad? Should I make more lines on mine to give the quilt more purpose? Please let me know! I'd love to get your feedback on that.


Things I've noted as having done wrong:

1. I failed to use batting that, when ironed, would stick to the fabric. Thereby reducing the shifting of the elements. 

2. I forgot to iron the fabric before sewing the pieces together. I have no idea why I did this!

3. I didn't use enough pins. I should have placed pins closer together to hold the layers together while I sewed. If I had wanted to go the extra mile, I could also have gotten safety pins. This could have helped me avoid all the pricks from the pins.

4. I should have simplified the quilt, like Katie. I should have started off with only a solid or used a solid backing. For some reason, I wanted to do a quilt that was nice on both sides but should have simply chosen a nice fabric for the back.

5. I should have re-read, then read again, all those tutorials. Maybe it's that I'm busy, stressed, or just plain need more vitamins, but it's almost like they went in one ear and out the next! I need to slow down.

Am I disappointed? No. It's a perfect learning experience and not only will the next quilt be better, but I can apply what I learned to all aspect of sewing, not just quilting.

What do you think? Am I crazy? Do you have any tips on whether or not I should do more lines on my quilt or just start on the edges? When I start on the edges, do you have any tips, tricks, or links to tutorials? Let me know!

Please follow us on Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook and/or comment below on things you'd like me to feature or talk about! Thanks!

~Yasmine

0 comments:

Post a Comment