Monday, May 23, 2011

Pattern Review

Today I'd like to do a sewing review of one of the patterns we carry. It's not a new pattern, but it's new to our inventory. It's the Ca$h and Carry pattern by Atkinson Designs.


I had a special request from my mother-in-law to make something she could carry Splenda packets in so that when they went out to eat, they would always have a supply handy. My father-in-law has diabetes, so it's important for them. I thought the small Strip Zips from the Ca$h and Carry pattern would be just the thing.

The pattern was very easy to read and follow, and uses small fabric pieces. You could probably raid your stash and come up with enough! It does require Fusible Fleece. I used Pellon Fusible Fleece, and it turned out great!

How she has you sew the fabric together was very clever. It made it so easy to do, plus you have the advantage of "quilting as you go" so there are no extra steps to sew the layers together. I did make one mistake--I forgot to zig-zag my raw edges as I was putting in the zipper, but was able to go back and do that once I realized what I had done.

Speaking of zippers, don't let that word scare you away! The way she instructs you to finish off the edges of the zipper and how to add it to the pouch are SO EASY! and so professional looking!

Overall, this was a very enjoyable experience, and took me about an hour to complete. I'm thinking after some practice, or with assembly-style sewing, you could churn these babies out pretty quickly! Here's a picture of my final product.



THINGS I LIKED: Easy zipper technique, finishing on zipper, FAST to make, great directions, lots of great uses, several different patterns in one

THINGS I CHANGED: I didn't change anything other than adding some Fray-Check to the zipper pull ends to keep them from unraveling.

Buy the pattern HERE
Buy the fabric I used HERE
Buy the Pellon Fusible Fleece HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment